- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces 1/2-inch cubes zucchini
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 1/2-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed, drained
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted, chopped
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated, squeezed dry in towel
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
For vegetable stew:
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add next 4 ingredients; stir 1 minute.
- Add zucchini and tomatoes with juices; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until zucchini is tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add garbanzos and olives; simmer 3 minutes.
For potato pancakes:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix first 3 ingredients in bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; add 1 teaspoon oil.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Add potato mixture by 1/3 cupfuls, spreading each to 3-inch round.
- Cook until pancakes are brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to baking sheet; keep warm in oven.
- Place 3 pancakes on each of 4 plates.
- Spoon stew over and serve.
Per serving: calories, 420; total fat, 12 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe By: Bon Appétit January 2003 via Epicurious.com