Week at a glance

Oh what a holiday week!

As you know, several of our family members
came to visit for Thanksgiving. While
Steve, Elisabeth and their two daughters stayed at Elisabeth’s mom’s house in
Sun City West, we enjoyed the pleasure of Lynne’s company all week.

When they arrived Saturday,
we all met at a fun restaurant in
Scottsdale to catch up, and to enjoy a much more relaxed reunion
than any the airport could provide. I
had done a little bit of research online before they arrived, to try to find an
eatery that would meet my requirements. First of all it needed to have a few vegetarian selections on the
menu. But, I still wanted to find
unusual carnivorous fare for Chris’ highly meat oriented family. Secondly, I was looking for a place with a
Western, Southwestern, or Mexican theme. Additionally, I thought it would be great to dine outdoors, in order to
highlight our fantastic weather. And
lastly, of course, it couldn’t cost a mint. The restaurant that I eventually chose was The Carlsbad Tavern in
Scottsdale, AZ.  Nov_05_055

It featured
New Mexican fare, had a few veggie choices, and was very affordable. The main draw to this particular eatery
though, was the nice patio area – complete with a fake little stream (including
a waterfall and bridge) and large fire places. Reading that it sounds incredibly cheesy, but it actuall
y was done
well. The food was not particularly
spectacular, but it hit the spot nicely. Many dishes featured New Mexican green chili and I think everyone left
satisfied and happy.

After this lovely meal, we
all piled into our two vehicles and drove and drove and drove around the north
side of
Phoenix to Elisabeth’s mom’s place. Have I mentioned lately how nice it is to not
ever have to think about traffic? I love
that about our tiny little town. We visited in Sun City West for a few minutes
and then headed for home.

Now I don’t know about you,
but when my mother or my mother-in-law comes to visit, I scrub my house top to
bottom. There is no dust, the linens are
fresh, and the toilet bears resemblance to a gleaming chalice. This time was different. During the final couple days of pre-company
frenetic scrubbing, my husband and older daughter were hard at work sanding
sheetrock and tearing up the kitchen floor. May I just say that this is not at all conducive to dusting or
mopping? Scheduled to retrieve said
family from the airport (a two hour drive from our home) at   
1:40 pm, the kitchen floor was finally laid 12
hours before
arrival. In fact, we were still painting
that morning. So my house was not the
sparkly, impressive retreat I had been hoping to provide. But so be it.
After the initial “reveal”, I was able to just relax and allow it to be
what it is…home.

Sunday was quite a bit more
relaxed. Steve came up the hill to go
four by fouring with Chris and Maya in the jeep he’d rented for their visit. They drove up to the top of the hill
overlooking town and took some nice pictures. Then went exploring over by the old mine and eventually down the
mountain. Along the way they found a waterfall
and small pool of water out in the middle of the desert. They came back exhilarated and grinning. We fed Steve and all settled in for an early
night, as we had planned a special surprise trip for Lynne the following day.Jerome_nov_2005_006

We rose early on Monday morning
in order to make it to 
Clarksdale,  AZ  by noon. There we had reservations on the Verde Canyon
Railroad, which was scheduled to leave the station at 1:00
for a relaxing four hour trip through “The Little
Grand Canyon.” Lynne had no idea where
we were headed. We teased her, saying it
was an appointment for Lasik Surgery. With Jerome/Clarkdale a mere 1&1/2 or so away from home, we figured
leaving by  9:30 am 
would give us ample time
to make it to for the
noon check in.   

We grabbed a quick bite in Prescott and were on our way, making pretty good time. We took Highway 89 north out of Prescott, through Chino Valley and were driving along feeling pretty excited. About an hour out of Prescott, with Ash Fork looming, we began to wonder why we
weren’t seeing any signs for Jerome. Shouldn’t we have passed it by now? With a sinking feeling I pulled out the map.

“Um, Honey.”



“There are, um, two highway


“Yep. There’s this 89A. It looks like that’s the one that goes to Jerome.”

So we turned around and were
zooming back down the road. This was
around 11:15
. As I was
tearing the map apart with my eyes (talk about laser eyes), I chanced to look
up in time to see a sign pointing to the road leading off to the left.

“Hey, did that say it went to
Perkinsville? That’s on the map. It’s between us and Jerome. We should take that. IT WILL BE A SHORTCUT!”

Fortunately, u-turns are,
like, the state turn of
Arizona. Did I mention that half the population
appears to be older than 70 – with many of those rapidly approaching the 100
year mark? So we flipped a u-turn and
headed down highway 71. I should have
known that there really are no true shortcuts in Arizona
. Five miles
into it, the pavement ended. After about
a 5 second discussion we decided to continue. I mean; just how rough could a “highway” get?

Did I also mention that we were in
a Honda Odyssey Mini-Van?

Highway was, in fact, a ridiculous
name for this road. Barreling down this
rocky dirt road at 50-60 mph, we quickly came upon a series of unmarked forks
in the road. Each time we headed
right. Every once in a while we would
see a sign indicating that we had not only traveled far less than we thought,
but that we were, indeed, still heading in the general direction of Perkinsville.

Now, I can only assume that
we eventually passed though the booming metropolis of Perkinsville, because the
signs ultimately began to read ‘Jerome’. Upon seeing these, our hearts leapt. Jerome was only 16 miles from Perkinsville, and we still had about 25
minutes to get there. The next six miles
were great. We were roaring around the dirt
road switchbacks like a van full of bootleggers on fire. Yeehaw! We’re gonna make it!

Then we saw the sign. “Curvy road – next ten miles.” What the heck had we been on, I thought. Well, comparatively speaking…we had been on
the equivalent of I-80 as it passes through Iowa and Nebraska
. The next ten
miles were indeed curvy. And Chris did
not slow down – much. We zoomed around
cliffs. We screeched along crags. We talked about the journey being
important than the destination, and tried to enjoy the amazing scenery.
Well, everyone else seemed to enjoy it. I tried not to look down, for
fear of
throwing up on my map and brochures. Meanwhile, all this was being
accompanied by the dulcet sound of baby
snores coming from the car seat behind me. I wanted to pick that baby
up…jostle her awake…and yell, “How can
you sleep at a time like this? Don’t you
know it’s time to panic?!?”

Then we hit the most
unbelievable phenomenon imaginable – traffic. Yes, we found ourselves following another
Honda Odyssey, which was in turn following some incredibly slow moving
SUV. Or were they in fact just being – gasp,
choke- cautious?

At this point in the story, I
just have to say that I can now truly see that Lynne had indeed raised three
rowdy boys and a girl who tried her very best to keep up. She was calm, unfazed, and even (I believe)
somewhat amused. Jerome_nov_2005_123

In due time, the Odyssey and
SUV pulled out, allowing us to pass and we pulled into Jerome. If there had been clouds, I do think they
would have parted. Crawling through
Jerome at the posted 25 miles per hour, we headed down the hill to
Clarksdale and the train. When we arrived at the Depot, Chris jumped out while I parked our dusty
van. We had 3 minutes until the train
left and were the last passengers to board.


Since we’d been so late to
arrive, we had seats spread around the car, but that’s OK. Most people were out in the open air car
anyway, so we were able to simply sit where we wanted until folks came to claim
their spots. Then we could move to
another place with a great view. And
there were many great views to be had. I’m
so glad we made it. After I calmed down
a bit…thanks to a much needed visit to the restroom and my brilliant
husband’s offer of a Corona
, it was an absolutely stunning event.Jerome_nov_2005_030 

In addition to the cliffs,
rivers and geological formations, we spied javelina, heron, and bald
eagles. We learned about the ancient
cliff/cave dwelling tribe of the area. They were called Sinagua by the Spanish – meaning without water, and
disappeared at some point. They are
thought to have joined up with the Navajo or Hopi.

Our train ride was a
fantastic and beautiful way to relax for the latter half of the day. I would recommend it to anyone. Oh, I almost forgot to mention. The turn around spot at the midway point in
the ride is, get this, Perkinsville. I
couldn’t believe it.

After our lovely, calming
train ride, we headed up to Jerome. Unbeknownst
to Lynne, I had been researching Jerome for about a year. I planned to surprise Chris for our
anniversary in April but was unable to make it happen. It was the same story for his birthday in
August. So when I found out that Lynne
was coming for Thanksgiving; and then additionally that it would occur just
days before Kajsa went onto the transplant list, I thought to myself. “It’s now or (what will seem like) never.”

I spent a lot of time looking
into hotels, inns and B&Bs in and around Jerome. I eventually chanced upon a great package
deal for the train and a hotel room, so I snatched it up. We stayed at The Connor Hotel in Jerome. It is a relic of the mining boom of the
1800s. The whole place is done up in a
Victorian motif and felt quite unique and special. We had some dinner at the Jerome
Brewery. Don’t be fooled by the name –
There is no beer brewed here and the food is OK, but not great. I would not recommend the place.

Where I would direct anyone
wanting a great meal, though, is the Mile High Café. This is where we all went for breakfast on
Tuesday. It was not only bright and
airy, but quite affordable and gastronomically divine. Jerome_nov_2005_076

We spent the day wandering
around Jerome window shopping. For those
of you who are not familiar with the town of
Jerome, it is a really neat place to visit. Jerome was originally a mining town built on
the incredibly steep side of Cleopatra Hill, and looking across the valley
toward the red cliffs of Sedona. The
houses are built along winding streets and appear to sit one on top of
another. When the mine closed, the
booming town of 1500 dried up and became just another western ghost town. Until, that is, the late 1960s when it was
discovered by cowboy hippies who began living in the old (condemned)
houses.  Jerome_nov_2005_100
It slowly grew into a unique,
bohemian artists’ community. There are
now about 500 people living in and around Jerome. If I had a truly artistic bone in my body, I
would love to be among them.

Our plan was to buy nothing
in Jerome. But Chris broke down and got
Kajsa a little Javelina stuffed animal. It is incredibly cute to hear her say Javelina. Well worth the nominal cost. Maya bought herself a cactus stir stick
(She’s begun collecting these), and I found a Jerome magnet.

We headed back home that
evening and were more than happy to put our feet up. This was especially true knowing that we were
to meet Elisabeth, Steve and the girls in Wickenburg the next morning. Fortunately, they were alright with meeting
up at 12:00
. This allowed
us to sleep in a little bit and to let Kajsa get a nice long rest.

From Wickenburg, Chris and
Steve traveled half an hour to Ben Avery Shooting Range
where they fired at poor innocent clay targets for a
few hours. It seems I cannot escape men
with guns. My father also shoots skeet,
as well as being an instructor thereof. In fact, Chris is very excited to take my dad to Ben Avery when my
parents come to visit in January. Hopefully, he’ll do better then. Apparently, Steve ended with a far better score than Chris.

While the guys were off
portraying their personal version of manliness, we were the height of girliness. My plans for visiting The Wickenburg Western
Museum were quickly dashed as the tourist shops once again beckoned. We hit a few places. The one we spent the most time in had a great
watch that I tried on and really liked. Ever since mine died a couple of months ago, I’ve had my eye out for a
new one, but hadn’t really found anything I liked. This one was slightly feminine, but sturdy
enough to handle my life. I made sure to
bring Maya over so that she could see it, my plan being that she’d drag Chris
down to show it to him for my birthday on Monday.Wickenburg_nov_2005_001

We hit a couple more places
and ended at Chaparral Ice Cream Parlor. Everyone had a scoop before we headed up the hill toward home. After the guys joined us we had a big
barbecue complete with a fantastic barbecued cabbage from a recipe we found in
the book my mother got Chris for his first father’s day. We made both vegetarian and original versions
and everyone loved it. Even I gobbled it
up – and I have always been a great loather of cabbage. The recipe is quite simple.

Barbecued Stuffed Cabbage:

1. Turn cabbage upside down and core/hollow out a nice
sized bit. You want to have plenty of
leaves left, but no heart.

2. Chop up some onion. Fry it. Then you add in your
protein. It originally called for bacon,
but I substituted diced vegetarian Kielbasa. This I added to the frying onion until I had a nice crispy mess of

3. Scoop this into your cabbage and cover it with about ¼
cup of barbecue sauce and a half a stick of cubed butter.

4. You can then cover this with aluminum foil and stick
into either the oven or the grill. You
want it to cook either in indirect heat or at 350 for an hour to and a
half. It is done when the cabbage is
fork tender.

we ate this we couldn’t help but think up new ways that this could be
prepared…perhaps with Hoisin Sauce or Italian Sausage. We also baked apples and pears for
dessert. These apparently went nicely
with the pig that the rest of the family ate. I know that I for one felt the veggies to be more than sufficient.

we were about to eat, cards came out. I
got a very nice birthday card from Steve and Elisabeth as well as flowers and
the ingredients for Buttery Nipples. No,
it doesn’t have butter or nipples, but is instead Baileys Irish Cream and
Dekuyper’s Butterscotch Schnapps. Yum!

also gave me a card along with a little box. When I opened it, what should I find but the watch I’d admired
earlier! I was so surprised. I don’t know when she’d found time to talk to the saleswoman. Mothers sure do know how to be sneaky.

brother and his family stayed as late as they could, and then we had to say
good-bye, knowing that we would not see them again for many months. I was just glad we got a chance to visit, no
matter how brief it may have been.

they left, I made a couple of pies while we played a game of This and That,
then went to bed.

– Thanksgiving – Thankful Thursday. We
had much to be thankful for.

cooked all day. I made dressing, mashed
baked potatoes, green been casserole, sweet potatoes & cranberry
relish. Maya helped with the sweet
potatoes and crescent rolls. Chris made
pancetta wrapped pork loin for Lynne and himself.

managed to sit down by 5:00 

to veritable feast. We all said things
that we were thankful for: Among them
the presence of family, the ability to provide such a great meal, and Kajsa’s
entry onto the donor list. We ate and
talked and then all pretended not to be sleepy.

we had some pie. The pumpkin was a
simple traditional recipe, but for the pecan, I had chosen a delectable
Chocolate Chip Kailua version. Oh my
goodness. It was amazing.

the recipe:



cup sugar

cup ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

tablespoon all purpose flour

cup dark corn syrup (I used half corn syrup and half molasses)

cup Kahlúa or other coffee liqueur

teaspoon vanilla extract

large eggs

cup chopped pecans

cup semisweet chocolate chips ( I used half semisweet and half dark chocolate

purchased frozen deep-dish 9-inch pie crust


1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Beat sugar and butter
in medium bowl until smooth; beat in flour. Gradually beat in corn syrup, then
Kahlúa and vanilla. Mix in eggs, then chopped pecans. Sprinkle chocolate chips
over bottom of crust. Pour filling into crust.

2. Bake pie until filling is puffed around edges
and just set in center, covering edge of crust if browning too quickly, about
45 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day
ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

8 to 10.

goes to: Bon Appétit December 1996

When I took the pie out it looked
burned, but there was not a hint of this in the flavor. I think it may have just been attributable to
the molasses.

had to be to the airport early yesterday, so Chris drove her there alone. We got up to say farewell, and then promptly
fell back into bed.

in all it was a great week and a fantastic visit. It is; however, going to be a welcome
challenge to get back into the normal swing of things around here.

hope that you all also had a peaceful, happy
Thanksgiving with much to be grateful for.


4 thoughts on “Week at a glance

  1. Wow, Rowan. Here I was, wondering if you were going to write again soon, and I got to behold this glorious marathon post!

    I am glad you were able to get over the cleaning frenzy and relax–that would have been tough for me too. Pictures of your lovely home and renovations?

    And a bohemian artist town–I could totally see retiring to one/living in one. I have no idea what I could contribute, but I would have a blast too.

    As for your wrong turn/dirt road trip, it reminds me so much of when we were in Colorado, in a Buick, follwing Yahoo maps directions to Silverton via a county road (instead of a “longer” trip on the highway). Halfway up a mountain (rocky and narrow) at 13K feet, let’s just say it was an adventure. I chuckle at the memory now.

    Fun, food, family, and friends–fantastic 🙂

    Missed you, and I’m glad you are back!

  2. What a great long week. It was so nice of you to share that all with us. You have a beautiful family, and the pictures are absolutely gorgeous. What a fun place to explore.
    My dad is a skeet lover too and has taken me there many times when I lived in Lebanon. Men and their toys… 🙂

  3. Happy Birthday! (Two days late). I’m such a slacker. I’m glad you had such a good time with your family and such a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    How was your birthday? I’m sorry I haven’t called. Things are good here, busy as usual. I’ll talk to you soon.
    Love you lots
    Jenn, Michael and Elora

  4. Running2Ks:
    Of course I’m back. I’m just in a slight state of recovery. It sounds like everyone has one of those crazy back road stories. I’m glad you survived yours, too.

    Thank you for the compliments on the family.
    Also, I’m glad that someone else can relate to the skeet thing.

    Thank you for the birthday wishes. And I do believe that it is I who owe you a call.
    We all love and miss you guys, too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s